Sunday, October 26, 2008

Been readin'

It seems a long time since I blogged. In fact it is a long time since I blogged. I have been feeling as though I was on a very slow roller coaster, going up and down though not as rapidly as normal. I have felt aimless, probably due to the lack of a job, or a purpose, or a routine. It has been difficult coping with other members of the family and their crises. OH can't make up his mind about jobs, what he wants, his health, the car etc ...which makes me feel inadequate for being unable to decide for him. Ridiculous I know! CAitlin is becoming more of a teenager but still with a little girl's responses to many things. Some days she IS 'Kevin" and some days she is a joy. Roo is still a sweetheart, loves cuddling up on the sofa, watching vids. I shall miss that when it disappears.

I have turned back to sewing, making clothes and curtains, as a means of controlling my life and surroundings. We have been in the house a year and I still haven't replaced all the curtains I hate! Soon though. I have made two dresses for me, and helped C to make a start on skirts. She wants to make an outfit for Prize day s o we have found a very easy pattern. t I will probably end up making it. She lacks a little application at the moment, unless it involves her guitar.

I have been reading more lately. Just finished Jpod by Douglas Coupland, which I loved. It was utterlyridiculous but compelling at the same time. I have read a couple of Jostein Gardner's book meditating on life and death, Traveller by Ron McLarty, who wrote the art of running. This one was about a man reminiscing about his childhood, whilst mourning the death of his childhood crush from a gunshot wound received when they were young ( The bullet was the traveller). Eoin Colfer has played a major role in the reading matter of the whole household. I read about the Half Pint detective, which was very odd and Roo and I read the latest Artemis Fowl which was brilliant.

Elaine has lent me yet more self improvement books. The latest was on the languages of love. There are apparantly five; Gifts, Words of Affirmation, Quality time, Personal touch and Acts of service. Supposedly each of us has a major leaning towards one of these and feels more loved if their significant other uses the right language. Trouble is OH poo poos the whole idea whilst I think a number fit my life. I do crave words of affirmation, no doubt, but I also need jobs doing without my needing to ask ( the bins for example, or mowing the lawn). Ant needs quality time, which I find difficult as someone who relishes space and peace and quiet. The kids are as interesting. They are not 'gift' people inspite of what we may think. They desire quality time most of all followed by personal touch, a hug or a family video curled up on the sofa.

No comments: